Alternative Energy Geothermal-Heating-and-Cooling from Nature dot org

Published on October 22nd, 2007 | by Scott Cooney

The Uses of Geothermal Energy

Twitter Pinterest Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Linkedin Email

Geothermal energy has more uses than you might imagine.  Basically, geothermal energy technology taps into subsurface areas where desired temperatures exist. The uses of geothermal energy range depending on the needs.

Uses of Geothermal Energy for Houses

If you’re looking to cool your home in the summer, for example, one of the uses of geothermal energy technologies is to allow you in hot times to take heat from your house, send it down pipes into the ground (where it naturally cools), and return it to your house (where it helps bring down the temperature inside). The technology typically uses a liquid like antifreeze as a carrier of that heat, which is moved about in a closed-loop piping system.

One of the other main uses of geothermal energy is the same concept but in reverse in cold months. Geothermal energy technology is used to bring warmer temperatures into your home without using fossil fuels, just by tapping into a heat exchange deep below the surface of the earth. Cool, right? But geothermal energy is so much more.

Uses of Geothermal Energy in Farming

Some of the common uses of geothermal energy are amongst farmers, who use geothermal energy to heat their greenhouses. Check this out (lemons grown in the middle of winter!):

uses of geothermal energy greenhouse

Geothermal heating can help farmers keep growing, all winter long.

In Tuscany, Italy, farmers have used water heated by geothermal energy for hundreds of years to grow vegetables in the winter.  Hungary is also a major user of geothermal energy, where eighty percent of the energy demand from vegetables growers is met using geothermal energy technology.

Geothermal energy is also used in fish farms.

uses of geothermal energy fish farm

The steam escaping is evidence of geothermal heat that is being used to keep fish farms’ water temperatures warm, even with glaciers right there in the background!

The warm water spurs the growth of animals ranging from alligators, shellfish, tropical fish, amphibians to catfish and trout. Fish farmers from Oregon, Idaho, China, Japan, and even Iceland use geothermal energy.

Uses of Geothermal Energy in Industry

Industry is another consumer of geothermal energy. Its uses vary from drying fruits, drying vegetables, drying wood, and dying wool to extracting gold and silver from ore. Check out this cool graphic from the state of California’s energy almanac for the varying temperatures needed for a variety of industrial geothermal energy uses.

uses of geothermal energy in industry Geothermal Education office

Uses of Geothermal Energy in Infrastructure & Electricity

Geothermal energy is also used to heat sidewalks and roads in order to prevent freezing in the winter. Most recently, the Netherlands began using geothermal energy to keep bike lanes from freezing in the wintertime, for instance.

uses of geothermal energy bike lanes heated

Geothermal power plants are also a good electricity generator:

• Flashed Steam Plants — The water “flash” boils and the steam is used to turn turbines.
  • Dry Steam Plants — These plants rely on the natural steam that comes from the underground reservoirs to generate electricity.
  • Binary Power Plants — These plants use the water to heat a “secondary liquid” which vaporizes and turns the turbines. The vaporized liquid is then condensed and reused.
  • Hybrid Power Plants — In these plants, binary and flash techniques are utilized simultaneously.

It’s been estimated that the economic benefit of geothermal energy to the U.S. is about $280 million per year. It serves as a great source of renewable, baseload power for many parts of the U.S. But the potential for geothermal still exists, untapped, in a lot of areas. At last count, 450 geothermal projects were under development, so people are obviously catching on.

The most common use of geothermal energy is for heating residential districts and businesses. The first U.S. district to use geothermal energy for heating dates back to 1893. However, the French beat us by almost 500 years, as records indicate they were tapping many uses of geothermal energy back in the 15th century.

Images from Flickr Creative Commons, Gaci.biz, NewEnergyandFuel, and TheAtlanticCities

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Scott Cooney (twitter: scottcooney) is an adjunct professor of Sustainability in the MBA program at the University of Hawai'i, green business startup coach, author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and developer of the sustainability board game GBO Hawai'i. Scott has started, grown and sold two mission-driven businesses, failed miserably at a third, and is currently in his fourth. Scott's current company has three divisions: a sustainability blog network that includes the world's biggest clean energy website and reached over 5 million readers in December 2013 alone; Pono Home, a turnkey and franchiseable green home consulting service that won entrance into the clean tech incubator known as Energy Excelerator; and Cost of Solar, a solar lead generation service to connect interested homeowners and solar contractors. In his spare time, Scott surfs, plays ultimate frisbee and enjoys a good, long bike ride. Find Scott on

54 Responses to The Uses of Geothermal Energy

1. Guest Visitor says:

[smiley=happy] im so very happy that there are many uses of geothermal energy

2. amanda says:

I wish we could use geothermal energy all around the world not just on areas close to the crust like Iceland or New Zealand.

3. Tyler says:

can\’t geothermal work pretty much anywhere?

4. Guest says:

Yes, you can!

5. Jessica says:

WOW some many uses my teacher is gonna love it thanx!!!

6. $@M says:

Thanks Dude I Really Needed Something Like this for mah project

7. tootsi says:

cool, I did not know there was such a thing as fish farms

8. Hadantaru says:

graet for the world bad for me i can do my science homework now o well im just one person and my needs r less than the needs of many

9. SHAN says:

GREAT FOR THE WORLD AND THE PEOPLE BECAUSE ITS VERY HOT @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

10. groovy says:

Hey this realy helped.. thnx my techer is going to giv me full marks !!!!!!!!! :-)

11. shasha says:

its too coooooooooooooooooooooooool

12. Cristina says:

This website gives you a great amount of information on geothermal energy and it really helped me to understand how this type of energy is used and what type of systems use it

13. anju says:

superb u have helped me in my project yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

14. rita says:

this web page is cool

15. Apvishnu says:

It is more usable for students..for doing their projects,seminars,,etc…so plz add some thing like more than this….

16. Pingback: uses of geothermal energy - ENERGY TYPES – ENERGY TYPES

17. Pingback: geothermal energy uses - ENERGY TYPES – ENERGY TYPES

18. Pingback: uses of geothermal energy | ALL ALTERNATIVE ENERGY

19. rebeccahall says:

omg i wish we could use geothermal energy to gas up our car………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Olivia says:

i LOVE geothermal energy

21. Maddie says:

I’m doing a report on Geothermal energy. It sounds environmentally friendly, and helpful too. It’s great that we have an abundance of it.

22. Princess says:

Really helped me for my project

23. llamalord says:

gets straight to the point with no useless banter on sustainablity
    thanks XD

24. AngelOfDeath says:

this was really great going for full marks now

25. carly halonster says:

My teacher is going to love this thanks alot.

26. Katie says:

Hope this not lies me need get am grade uppppppppppppp :D

27. m"f haley says:

yall are sum retarded freak shows i aint doin nuin jst fo mah fvkn teacher lmao yayyyyy :>

28. Pingback: Pun Alert: Geothermal Energy Gains Steam

29. Pingback: Hawaiian Geothermal Energy: A Gift from the Gods?

30. Selene Hearn says:

I have a project to do for school based on the sources of energy and geothermal energy is one of them. I have to find out which energy source is best for my country Trinidad and Tobago (in the Caribbean of course). Can anyone help me?

31. Pingback: Uses of geothermal energy | Organic & Green

32. Pingback: 100% Of New Power Capacity In US Came From Renewable Energy In November (2nd Month This Year) | CleanTechnica

33. Pingback: 100% Of New Power Capacity In US Came From Renewable Energy In ... | RocketNews

34. Pingback: 100% Of New Power Capacity In US Came From Renewable Energy In … : Solar Company USA

35. Pingback: 100% Of New Power Capacity In US Came From Renewable Energy In November (2nd Month This Year) « Full Cycle Fund, LLC

36. Pingback: The Uses of Geothermal Energy | PRG HAWAII NEWS WITH RUSS ROBERTS

37. Regularly scheduled meals (every few hours) have proven more wholesome than infrequent,
    haphazard ones. Regardless of be it workplace politics deciding who gets that increase you have been hoping for
    metropolis politics determining exactly where you are entitled to
    park downtown county politics dictating your quarterly property tax or perhaps nationwide politics determining how your colleges are funded,
    politics plays a factor in your everyday life.

* Create and distribute Widgets or Mash-ups using services like
    widgetbox, Open Social, or Yahoo Pipes.

38. Pingback: DOE Awarding $3 Million To Support Geothermal Energy Systems With Capability Of Extracting Rare Earth Elements | CleanTechnica

39. Pingback: California's Geothermal Potential Largely Untapped

40. Pingback: Geothermal Leaders To Convene On Earth Day

41. Awesome things here. I’m very happy to see your article.
    Thank you a lot and I am taking a look forward to contact you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

42. I believe this is one of the such a lot important information for me.
    And i am satisfied studying your article. However want to statement on
    few general issues, The site style is great, the articles is in reality nice : D.
    Good activity, cheers

43. Its such as you learn my mind! You appear to understand a lot about this,
    like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I feel that you can do with a
    few p.c. to power the message house a bit, however other than that,
    this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

44. I seldom comment, but i did a few searching and wound up here Green Living
    Ideas | Keeping Green Ideas Simple and Down to Earth.

And I actually do have a few questions for you if it’s allright.

Is it just me or does it appear like a few of these comments come
    across like they are written by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional online social sites, I would like to keep up with anything new you have to post.

Could you list of the complete urls of all your social pages like your
    twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

45. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in
    your article seem to be running off the screen in Ie.
    I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or
    something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon.

Cheers

46. Hi there to every one, it’s really a good for me to visit this web page, it includes important Information.

47. It’s an awesome post designed for all the web users; they will get advantage from it I
    am sure.

48. Deb says:

This is such a great and helpful post along with a great infographic.Thanks for this.