Published on December 2nd, 2011 | by Lynn Fang0
Fair Trade Friday: 10 Businesses to Support
Equal Exchange is itself a worker-owned cooperative. They work with small farmer co-ops in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the United States. The co-ops have used their Fair Trade income to develop training programs for women in Guatemala, an ecotourism project in Nicaragua, new classrooms in El Salvador, to name a few examples.
Their Guiding Principles:
- Trade directly with democratically organized small farmer cooperatives.
- Facilitate access to credit for producer organizations.
- Pay producers a guaranteed minimum price that provides a stable source of income as well as improved social services.
- Provide high quality food products.
- Support sustainable farming practices.
- Build a democratically-run cooperative workplace.
- Develop more environmentally-sound business practices.
Equal Exchange offers high quality, organic coffees, teas, chocolates, bananas, olive oil, and almonds.
[Image used with permission by Equal Exchange]