Enviro-Log Review and Giveaway: Recycled Cardboard Meets Chiminea
This Arizona girl does not get to enjoy warm fires often, but this weekend’s low temperatures and light rain set the mood to perfection. With two three-pound Enviro-Logs samples and a chiminea aching for a blaze, it became delightfully warm and cozy on the back patio.
Composition and Benefits of the Enviro-Log
Enviro-Log is an eco-sound alternative to firewood. It is made of 100% waxed, corrugated cardboard boxes which were used for fresh vegetables. The wax is edible grade making Enviro-Log safe as a cooking source. The actual recycled parts are visible in the logs and their waxiness actually seems to make them a fire starter and log in one. The Enviro-Log burns cleaner than wood and the alternatives on the market with less smoke and minimal smell. Some report a waxy odor but I didn’t smell anything stronger than that of a burning candle. The lack of intense smoke was evident as we enjoyed the chiminea under a patio where the chiminea’s opening allowed the smoke to drift out into the night air and noticed a minimal amount. There are no petroleum products making it quite appealing for those with sensitivities and allergies especially with the decreased amount of smoke and virtually no smell.
Ease of Use
It was quite easy to start up the fire following the instruction sheet. I simply opened the package, removed the log, twisted the wrapper and placed it beneath the log in the chiminea. I lit the wrapper and the two ends of the log which ignited quickly, but safely. The ends started up just as easy as the wrapper itself which I found quite impressive. The log was completely lit within about five to ten minutes and was a full blaze in about twenty minutes to a half hour. Make sure to follow the same safety guidelines as those for burning regular firewood. The below photo was taken about an hour into the chiminea adventure.
As expected, the original log burned for about two hours, but we added another to keep the party going. We also added extra wood later to see how they played together and it showed how much nicer the Enviro-Log was compared to the smokey and sparking scrap wood my husband offered up from his carpentry stash. The Enviro-Log burned evenly and with about as much heat as regular wood, maybe even warmer. There was no need to poke the wood or fix it in any way to keep it going. It was actually pretty self-sufficient. All good things must end and when that time came we simply let the fire die out. It would be pretty easy to time it’s use for a special event or when using in the fireplace in the evening.
Critiques of the Enviro-Log
Overall I can’t find many negative points except that the product costs money. We’re use to scrap wood and garden refuge from the bushes and trees so that would be difficult change when you’re use to free. However, the lack of smoke and scent is appealing for holiday parties and other dressier affairs where guests may not want to smell like a campfire. Being a Girl Scout, I don’t mind the smell so that might be a negative for those of us who like falling asleep with that scent in our hair. I did actually miss that. The Enviro-Logs are available online, but it ‘s much easier to pick them up at your home improvement store or supermarket like Whole Foods. I have to say I can easily see myself picking up a few logs in the very near future.
[Images from Enviro-Log]
How to Enter Enviro Log Giveaway
Would you like to try out Enviro-Logs? Well, we are having a giveaway for a six-pack of five pound logs. Below are a few ways you can enter. Remember, you can enter as many times as you wan and each comment is one entry.
- Subscribe to our e-mail updates if you are not a subscriber yet.
- “Like” the Enviro-Log facebook page and “Follow” Enviro-Log on Twitter and leave a comment here.
- “Like” our fanpage and leave a note on our wall that you entered this giveaway and let us know here too.
- “Share” on your facebook wall about the giveaway and tag @GreenLivingIdeas and let us know by leaving a comment here. (You have to “like” us first in order to tag us)
- “Follow” us on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway with mention @GrnLivingIdeas in your tweet and leave us a link here.
- Giveaway is open to e-mail subscribers. Your e-mail address will NOT be shared with anyone.
- You must be over 18 years old who lives within U.S.
- Giveaway will end at 11:59 PM EST on December 14, 2011
- One winner will be chosen at random, generated by a random.org, and will be announced on December 15, 2011.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the giveaway.
- You must respond within three days after giveaway is closed to be eligible.
- There is no limit as to how many times you can enter. Each comment is one entry.
- Enviro-Log’s SRP: $29.99
Disclosure: I received Enviro-Log samples to use for this review post only by Enviro-Logs and was not compensated monetarily for the review. The the giveaway ends, the Enviro-Logs will be shipped to the winner directly from the sponsor.