Published on February 10th, 2017 | by Guest Contributor0
Learning about Permaculture and Sustainable Living at Envision Festival, Costa Rica
I’ve long been interested in growing my own food, and while I’ve dabbled in backyard agriculture and even worked on a farm for awhile, nothing impresses me more than the increased interest in the permaculture movement.
Permaculture (permanent + agriculture) is a practice that uses natural systems to create thriving growing environments. According to Punta Mona Educational Center, “Permaculture is a multidisciplinary study, set of principles and ethics that offer a guideline and methodology to conserve and regenerate natural systems, intentionally design human settlements and maximize efficiency and while using less energy.”
Permaculture is based a system of energy and resource management that honors natural systems, and produces an abundance of edible foods. On our site Green Living Ideas, you can read more about the systems that underlie the permaculture ethos.
I’ve never studied permaculture, but I am so excited to have the opportunity to learn more about this integrative, sustainable solution at the upcoming Envision Festival in Costa Rica. We leave in just one week!
Stephen Brooks, an ethnobotanist-turned-permaculture expert, and his crew, are hosting the seventh annual Envision Festival in Uvita, Costa Rica in a few weeks. The event will feature a great lineup of music, yoga, and sustainability education, which we are so excited to cover this year across our sites.
If you’re not a festival person, Punta Mona institute offers a range of permaculture trainings throughout the year:
- Upcoming dates include May 22 – June 5, 2017; October 2 – 16, 2017
- This workshop focuses on Regenerative Lifestyle, Integrating Health, Practical Design, Community and Social Awareness
- Explore all aspects of sustainable practices by learning from those in the field. Program Includes: ~ 72+ hour Permaculture Design Course & Certificate upon completion
- The apprenticeship continues the Following Lunar rhythms utilizing biodynamic methodologies to maximize productivity and health.
- Learn and work directly with expert permaculture designers and organic gardeners at Punta Mona while diving into the cultural experience with a homestay!
- Upcoming dates include May 1st – June 5th, 2017
- Imagine delving deeply into your yoga practice, becoming a certified teacher, and receiving your Permaculture Design Certificate with our 5-week integrative program on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica!
- Upcoming dates include April 6 – 9, 2017
- A gathering of herbalists and plant enthusiasts from the Americas to celebrate our diversity, learn and share experiences about the abundant plant medicines found in the Neo-Tropics.
We’ll keep you updated on the festival happenings via my Instagram, @VibrantWellness