Published on February 15th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli
Keep your Body Warm & Well during the Wintertime with Vegan Soups
Wintertime is the perfect time to get yourself into the kitchen. Making homemade soup is a great introduction to home cooking- and it makes your kitchen nice and warm too! All the soups listed below are virtually fool-proof (assuming you can boil water), and made using simple pantry ingredients, whole grains, beans, and earthy winter vegetables. If you’ve been hankering to become a better chef, there is no time like the chilly-weather present.
But before we get to the list of soups, I want to share my new favorite- a healthy twist on Hot & Sour Soup featuring a homemade baked tofu. The tofu is optional, but adds some extra protein and deliciousness to this already incredible soup.This was the clear winner in my most recent cooking class, and it was awesome as leftovers in the subsequent days. Start with this recipe, and then work your way through the other soups until the warm weather comes your way!
Hot & Sour Soup
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 Tablespoon mirin (Japanese rice cooking wine)
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 (10-ounce) block super-firm tofu, sliced thinly
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, blended
6 cups vegetable broth
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Sliced green onions for garnish
Sesame seeds for garnish
Lemons for garnish
- Mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, and rice vinegar in a large bowl. Add tofu and marinate one hour.
- Layer tofu onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400º for 20 minutes. Flip tofu and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until tofu is golden. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients to onions and bring to low boil. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baked tofu.
- Divide soup into serving bowls, and garnish with green onion, sesame seeds, and a squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!
Yield- 4-6 servings
More Vegan Soups to Love…
Apple & Squash Soup
Lemon Red Lentil & Miso Soup
French Onion Soup
White Bean Stew
Vegetable Curry Noodle Soup
Lemon Rice Soup
Basic Miso Soup
Homemade Vegetable Broth
Smokey Black Bean Stew
Black Bean Chili
Tofu Lemongrass Soup
Roasted Tomato Soup