Published on December 10th, 2011 | by Karen Lee0
Morton’s Pet Safe-T-Melt Giveaway
It’s hard to believe that winter is right around the corner, but being prepared is half of the battle. It may seem as easy as grabbing a jug of ice melt from the store, but like different shampoos clean our hair, not all ice melts are created equal. Choosing the wrong melter can not only waste time and money, it can cause unnecessary harm to sidewalks, driveways, pets and vegetation. Getting educated about how ice melt works and how to select the right one can be instrumental in having a fun and safe season.
Did you know, when melted ice seeps into concrete, this liquid refreezes and expands (similar to an ice cube in a tray), pushing apart the concrete – which may cause visible damage. The more times ice melts and refreezes, the greater potential of damage to concrete. To combat this, Morton Salt developed its Safe-T-Plus Ice Melt, which is a blend of KCl, NaCl, Urea and HEC, that melts in temperatures down to 5OF. The HEC works to minimize damage to concrete surfaces, while Urea and KCl are common fertilizers which make it safer for plants, lawns and shrubs than traditional melting salt. This everyday option is the smarter solution for homeowners looking to protect their outdoor walkways and landscaping during winter. With recommended usage, urea is perfectly safe for your garden and for your pet’s paws.
Also, any ice melt containing salt (such as sodium chloride, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride and calcium chloride) is irritating to pets’ paws? That’s why Morton Salt developed its salt-and chloride-free solution Safe-T-Pet recommended by vets to be safer for pet paws, skin and eyes than traditional melting salt.
Check out this infographic on different ice melts. Morton’s is running a winter safety campaign for pets alongside the ASPCA. Check out their facebook page to learn more.
To get your winter started, Morton’s is giving away some cool goodies for our readers.
Here is how to enter to win the winter kit pictured above.
- Giveaway is open to e-mail subscribers. Your e-mail address will NOT be shared with anyone.
- You must be over 18 years old who lives within U.S.
- Giveaway will end at 11:59 PM EST on December 18, 2011
- One winner will be chosen at random, generated by a random.org, and will be announced on December 19, 2011.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the giveaway.
- You must respond within three days after giveaway is closed to be eligible.
- There is no limit as to how many times you can enter. Each comment is one entry.