Published on October 30th, 2008 | by Stephanie Evans0
Skip the Bus Station–Take a Staycation
With soaring prices at the pump and high-ticket prices at the airports, taking a vacation seems unaffordable, and therefore the first non-essential to be cut from the family budget.
But with a little creativity, you can create an affordable retreat in your own backyard (or at least within a few miles of it)…
“Staycation” is the new buzzword in these tough economic times, and if done right, it can really be far more relaxing than any travel-based vacation. The idea behind the staycation is to take some time away from work to relax and unwind, to enjoy the things that you’ve worked so hard to attain, like your house or your yard.
Without the stress of packing, getting to the airport, waiting through delays, and arriving at your destination exhausted but obligated to see everything there is to see and to make the most of your hard-earned vacation dollars, you can really maximize your relaxation potential. The staycation also allows you to explore the activities in your area that you usually brush aside, assuming that one day you’ll have time for them.
Here are 10 ideas for a successful staycation:
- Unplug your blackberry and your work e-mail
- Hire a maid or a landscaper for the week, so that you don’t focus on chores
- Sit by your pool, or in your backyard
- Splurge on gourmet food that you’ll cook at home
- Try that new restaurant in town
- Schedule a massage or day at the spa
- Take that historical tour in your town that you’ve been wondering about
- Go for a bike ride
- Read that book that’s been laying on your nightstand
- Take short day trips within a few hours of your home
Also visit How to Create Balance with a Media Fast for additional insights.
The key to your staycation is to have a plan for productive personal time. It’s perfectly fine to lounge around by the pool all day, but if there are things that you really want to try doing, make it a point to put it on your leisure calendar. No doubt you’ll return from your customized staycation relaxed, refreshed, and with a feeling that you accomplished a great deal as your energy reserves were simultaneously restored.