Published on April 19th, 2008 | by Stephanie Evans1
Eco-Hip Baby Carriers for New Dads
More and more father figures, from celebrities to your neighborhood superstar dads, have been spotted carrying their kids just about everywhere, as they head into coffee shops and head out for a morning walk in the park.
Hip, eco-friendly slings allow new dads the opportunity to catch up on baby bonding time as they multitask, spare their muscles from strain, and support the planet…
Let’s face it—most moms have a slight advantage when it comes to bonding with an infant. One-on-one time carrying your tot close to you provides an easy and practical opportunity to establish a strong connection between baby and baby carrier.
Here’s what you need to know before selecting an eco-friendly baby sling made with green materials and sustainable practices:
- Many baby carrier companies have conventional products in addition to organic, eco-friendly collections, so double check before you order.
- Most distributors offer information for easy wear on their Webs sites in the form of DVDs or instructional sections.
- Most carriers are versatile, offering extended wear from premie-age to toddler phase.
Eco Product Picks
The Belle Baby Carrier (pronounced “Belle-ay”) was designed by two outdoor-loving dads with experience in the design and engineering of climbing gear. It is a front-carrier equipped with an ajustable Five-Point Support System that naturally shifts most baby weight from the back onto the waistline.
- Their organic collection boasts packs made from 100% organic cotton, hemp fabrics, and eco-friendly dyes that come wrapped in recyclable packaging.
The organic Moby Wrap carrier is a wide fabric that is stretched across the shoulders, supporting equal weight distribution there and across the back. There are no fasteners or straps requiring adjustment, which is perfect for larger, taller dads who are often restricted by extra padding that causes the sling to seem small.
- The organic cotton is EKO-certified, meaning that 95% of ingredients were inspected to ensure compliance with organic farming standards.
The Ellaroo Mei Tei is an organic cotton baby carrier designed so that two adults of varying sizes can share the sling. Ties at the shoulder and the waist ensure a customized fit.
- This carrier is a little different from other slings, as the back is padded. The filling inside the padded back is made of recycled soda bottles.
New Native makes organic cotton slings to fit over one shoulder, allowing the baby to rest on one hip. The slings come in sizes small to extra large, so all body types and heights can take advantage of this comfortable style.
The Karma baby sling comes in solid prints of black and white, with a practical pocket for accessories. It is constructed of half organic cotton and half organic hemp material. The comfort of the cotton blends perfectly here with the durability of hemp.