Published on October 22nd, 2007 | by Stephanie Evans0
Green Home Appliances Help Keep You Cool
If your electricity bill soars through the roof each summer, you may want to look into green home appliances and green living choices to help keep you cool. To lower your home’s temperature without raising your electric costs, try these tips:
- Open doors and windows at night to allow cool nighttime air to enter the house, and then be sure to close all of those same doors and windows upon waking to trap the cool air in for the day.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate air instead of cranking the air conditioning up when it is warm.
- Reduce humidity on humid days with an Energy Star humidifier—your air conditioner won’t work as hard and you’ll feel more comfortable.
- Use window blinds and curtains on south facing windows to keep the sun’s rays from heating up the house during those long summer afternoons.
- Consider a swamp cooler, which uses less energy than an air conditioner.