Published on December 3rd, 2014 | by Andrea Bertoli
Homemade Mouthwash is Healthy and Budget-Friendly
We’re kicking off our brand new Homemade Living series with a recipe for simple homemade mouthwash. Homemade mouthwash is easy, affordable, eco-friendly and super effective! Just a few ingredients and you’re ready to go!
Mouthwash is an essential part of a good oral hygiene routine, but let’s be honest- most of the stuff for sale in the stores is just garbage. All those fluorescent colors and artificial flavors are designed to attract us, but what’s inside is not so good for our bodies. Most brands on the market (I’m looking at you Crest and Colgate) contain a range of ingredients that we don’t want anywhere near our healthy bodies. Crest contains a bunch of methly- and proply parabens (synthetic preservatives that act as estrogen can disrupt hormones) and other brands contain propylene glycol (a low-level irritant for skin and eyes). And do you want those wacky colors anywhere near your body when artificial colors are linked to ADHD, hyperactivity and cancer? Finally, most brands are made with fake sweeteners, which are linked to an increase in sugar intake and are potentially addictive.
So let’s skip the colors, flavors and other terrible ingredients and learn to make your own homemade mouthwash. It tastes better, it’s cheaper and it uses so much less plastic… and, according to my last dental checkup, it works great too!
Why hydrogen peroxide?
It helps to whiten teeth, improve the health of your gums by killing bacteria, reducing tarter and reducing tooth sensitivity and canker sores. It’s also good for all types of homemade cleaning too, so it’s a good thing to have around the house!
Why essential oils?
Essential oils are the true essence of plants and herbs, offering a myriad of health and medicinal benefits. Peppermint, besides making your mouth feel fresh, has antiseptic properties and helps ward of the germies. Clove, long used in oral care, helps with fresher breath, and also has antiseptic benefits for your mouth. Tea tree, though slightly less palatable, has wonderful anti-viral, anti-bacterial properties that make it invaluable for your oral care.
Homemade Mouthwash Recipe
What you’ll need for homemade mouthwash:
– Food-grade Hydrogen Peroxide, 3% dilution (I like this brand)
– Essential oils (peppermint, clove, tea tree or a combination of all these)
– Filtered water
– Jar or bottle for storage
1. For an 8oz jar/bottle, mix together 2 Tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, a few drops of each oil, and fill up the container with water. Shake well; essential oils will not dissolve in water, so be sure to shake each time.
2. Swish a bit in your mouth to make sure it’s minty/herbal, but not too much. It shouldn’t sting or burn. If it tastes good, you’re done. If you’d like it a bit stronger, add a few more drops of essential oils.
3. Store on the counter and rinse first thing each morning, and again before brushing at bedtime.
Image Credit: Woman photo via Shutterstock